POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The form : Re: The form Server Time
1 Oct 2024 20:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The form
From: GrimDude
Date: 23 Aug 2000 03:24:00
Message: <39a37c10@news.povray.org>
> Because it's more flexible.  You can change scale, turbulence, ...  Of
course
> it's not very easy to get nice structures, but imagine a more complex
shape cut
> out of wood, it would be quite complicated to do that with image maps and
> uv-mapping.

Precisely, I mean as the Pov help file defines image_maps:

"When all else fails and none of the above pigment pattern types meets your
needs you can use an image_map..."

At one time I took this to heart and avoided them all together. Then I
realized that using an image map to apply things like stenciled lettering,
logos, or even dial type readouts and computer screens is not 'cheating,'
but necessary. Personally, I avoid using them as the primary texture on any
object. Still, when 'ya gotta 'ya gotta.

You have achieved excellent results, which makes me jealous and, therefore,
quick to point this out. :)

Grim